""

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Dumplings' Legend

Dumplings ' Legend
15-16 Gerrard Street
Chinatown, London
http://www.dumplingslegend.com/
Tube: Leicester Square

Walking around China Town in London was a mouthwatering experience.  In every restaurant windows one could see crispy, glaced ducks hanging.  I knew right away that I had to get a taste of it.
This is not the restaurant where I had my crispy duck, but just a vindow view in Chinatown.
I've always been fascinated by the Chinese have brought their culture to the places they have settled and created Chinese neighborhoods.  The few hours I had by myself in London I was again strolling the mainstreet in Chinatown to find the perfect place for my lunch. I ended up choosing Dumplings' Legend.
 
The first thing you see when you enter the restaurant is the first kitchen where they make the fresh dumplings. Further in theres a second kitchen where they make the rest of the dishes on the menu. My mom used to tell me when I was younger that a kitchen with some selfrespect is always a kitchen where you can watch the chefs.  The interior was somewhat more sterile than you normally would expect from a chinese restaurant with it's white walls and minimalistic decoration.
 
Second floor at Dumplings' Legend
The place was crowded for lunch, mostly local chinese guests and a few tourists.  It took me some time to get the attention of the waitors but after watching the locals I understood that I had to shake my hand and ask for the waitor to come to my table.  I started with ordering a beer and a fried dim sum

Seasoned Pork & Vegetable Puff Pastry £3.30


The dim sum was crispy on the ourside but hot, sweet,  jucy and soft inside. They are probably the best puff pastries I've ever had. I wished I've would have come here with a friend so we could order all sorts of dumplings from the menu but my main goal was also to taste the roasted duck so I had to save some space.

Roast Duck with rice £6.80 

 
I was not disappointed with this dish. Tender duck that probably had been marinating for a while, then roasted. Sweet and strong in flavour.  I bet guests sitting close to me could hear my "mmm" sounds.  Nice with the bok choi accompanying
 
This place is also a living example of that you don't need a lot of fancy interior or image as long as the food is good.  Just that they make all the dumplings to order is amazing and you can really taste that they are fresh.  I left London as a very happy person and I will not hesitate to visit this restaurant again (maybe with more friends next time so I can taste my way through the dumplings)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kommenter gjerne blogginnlegget